The Establishment of Truro Parish
Overwharton parish was established circa 1702 from the
upper part of Stafford county northward to the Potomac
River.
During this time there was a “Chapel of Ease” near Ft.
Belvoir at US 1, near Difficult Run (Gunnel’s church),
and somewhere north of Goose Creek (NW Fairfax
County); all were apparently temporary or rented
structures.
There was another, larger chapel near the Occoquan
River, possibly near what would later (in 1753) become
know as Colchester, though this location may have been
at the present site of Cranford Methodist.